Monday 22 March 2010

preparations now underway

When people knew I was departing on a big trip many were over joyed (can't understand why!) but almost all of them asked 'are you going to run a blog?'  My initial response was that I couldn't be bothered but I'd add their names to my list of trip watchers and I'd send regular updates (or maybe not!).

As I now have a bit of time on my hands getting ready for the off I decided to look at what was involved in setting up a blog and being with Google for mail looked at what they had to offer.  After due consideration, and the fact that it appears to be no harder than actually sending emails, I decided to setup my very own blog to let everyone who wants to follow my adventures as I travel overland from London to Sydney and then New Zealand.

So, the first part of the preparations are now underway and I have a blog so I hope you all enjoy following my travels.  I've also set it up so some people (10 max) get an email when I post to the blog (cool or what!).  I've added the 10 most technophobic to the list so its not personal if you aren't getting the email.


Anyway thought you may want to know a little about the trip.  Well I am going to be travelling with a number of people who have no idea what they have let themselves in for!  Not sure how many there are but I think there are over 20 adventurous souls willing to put up with the deprivations of trucking it across Europe, Asia and the Far East to end up in Australia.


We leave the UK on the 6th April and head off for Dover and the continent.  For the first leg of our journey we speed through France and spend our first night camping in Belgium from there I think we go back through France and into Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey.


Nothing much more to say at this stage except got most of the kit laid out and am currently wondering how the hell its all going into the bag.  Will post updates as and when I find the time and/or inclination.  

Thinking of you always (NOT!)
Matt Still in the UK
Telephone: switched off